How to Wear Wedding Rings if You Have Sensitive Skin

There are more than 100 million Americans who are married. The majority of them are proudly walking around with wedding rings on their ring fingers every day.

If you’re among those who are married and you have sensitive skin on your hands, this can present a problem for you. Your sensitive skin could potentially lead to what is called a wedding ring rash.

Wedding ring rash will cause the skin under your wedding ring to become red, itchy, and irritated. It could even force you to walk around without a wedding ring if it gets to be too bad.

You should learn how to wear wedding rings to prevent this problem if you have sensitive skin. By taking the right steps, you can avoid wedding ring rash and enjoy wearing your wedding ring again.

Learn how to steer clear of wedding ring rash below.

Find Out If You Have a Nickel Allergy

There are a lot of gold and white gold wedding bands that contain small amounts of nickel in them. Many people are allergic to this nickel and will break out in a rash when their skin comes into constant contact with it.

Figuring out if you have a nickel allergy can be pretty tricky. There are some people who will show signs of a nickel allergy right away when they start wearing a wedding ring. But there are others who won’t show signs of it for years and then suddenly start breaking out because of nickel.

You should keep a close eye out for the symptoms of a nickel allergy. At the first sign of trouble, you should have alterations made to your wedding ring to prevent nickel from doing damage to your skin.

A jeweler can apply a thin layer of rhodium to your wedding ring for you. This will form a barrier between your ring and your skin and will stop you from breaking out while wearing it.

This company can show you wedding rings that will work for you if you suffer from a nickel allergy.

In the short term, you can also get the same results by placing a thin layer of clear nail polish between your ring and your skin. This should stop the nickel in your ring from causing problems.

Prevent Bacteria From Building Up Under Your Wedding Ring

As you might imagine, there are all kinds of things that can get stuck underneath your wedding ring. From the soap you use to wash your hands to the dead skin that falls off your hands on a daily basis, the area between your ring and your ring finger is usually pretty filthy.

That space can quickly turn into a breeding ground for bacteria. The bacteria can grow and spread around your finger as a result of your wedding ring. It can irritate your skin and cause wedding ring rash to set in.

You should make every effort to prevent bacteria from building up under your wedding ring by taking your ring off and washing your hands. This should be enough to stop bacteria from making a home under your ring.

Clean Your Wedding Ring Occasionally

In addition to taking your wedding ring off and washing your hands to prevent bacteria from building up, you should also get into the habit of washing the ring itself.

Whether you have a simple, straightforward ring or a ring with a huge diamond on it, your wedding ring will often get dirty over time and accumulate a lot of bacteria and other gunk.

While you can attempt to clean your ring on your own at home, you should strongly consider taking it to a professional jeweler for a more thorough cleaning. This will protect your ring from damage and get it completely clean before you place it back on your finger.

A clean ring will reduce the risk of wedding ring rash and keep your ring shining all the time.

Use a Mild Soap When Washing Your Hands

There are some people who suspect they have a nickel allergy or a bacteria problem related to their wedding ring, only to find out that it’s their hand soap that is taking a toll on their ring finger.

If you’ve ruled out a nickel allergy and taken the proper steps to clean your ring, only to find that you’re still suffering a rash on your ring finger, you should think about switching your hand soap.

You should go with a mild soap that will prove to be gentle on your hands. It could be the solution to your wedding ring rash problem.

You should also start using a moisturizing cream on your hands regularly. This will protect your hands and set them up with all the hydration they need.

When you wash and moisturize your hands, it’s a good idea to take your wedding ring off. It’ll prevent soap and cream from caking your ring and attracting bacteria to it.

Take Your Wedding Ring Off From Time to Time

Many married people wear their wedding rings all the time. Whether they’re sleeping, working out, or just hanging out around the house, they have their rings on.

While you might be committed to wearing your wedding ring 24/7, you should give your ring finger a break by taking your ring off every now and then. You might want to take it off while you’re in bed at night or when you’re taking a shower or swimming in the pool.

Even just a short break can allow your hands to breathe and stop wedding ring rash from setting in. You should find time to take your wedding ring off so that the sensitive skin on your hands can get the air it needs.

Discover How to Wear Wedding Rings Today

Most newlyweds don’t think they need to know how to wear wedding rings. They simply put them on during their wedding ceremony and keep them on for years to come.

If you take this approach, you could end up dealing with wedding ring rash over and over again. It’s why you should follow the steps listed above and take good care of your hands after you get married.

Check out our blog for more skin care tips.

Related Post